Monday, September 14, 2009

New Beginnings

This has been a season for trying out some new things with my book store, and this is something I have thought about doing for a while -- so why not now?

I started selling books on the internet as Orielis' Books in August, 2002 and have been working (with a lot of help from my two sisters) on building the business for the past seven years. I sell all sorts of used books with specialties in Mysteries, Science Fiction & Fantasy, and Children's books, but carry titles in a number of different areas.

It is a very personalized operation for me and my sisters -- seeking out books to sell, pricing them, entering the books into inventory, taking orders over the internet, and finally packaging and shipping the books. For me, it is very satisfying to know that I have complete control over the business. Of course, when things don't go right there aren't too many people to blame either.

One important consequence of running a book store out of one's house: The place is absolutely overrun with books. Stacks of them surround me as I work (and we won't even mention the basement). It can be a bit overwhelming at times, but at least there is never any lack of things to work on. ;=)

And so I am launched on my maiden voyage into the blogosphere. Hopefully, I will be able to find topics that are interesting and somewhat related to books and bookselling.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment